Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Wheels on the Bus Go 'Round and 'Round

Leg #4: Camp AJ to Kansas: 

It feels good to be out of the bus system. It was nice to see more of the country side. There was some detours that took us off the interstate. Winding through the Tennessee countryside, up and down the mountains was beautiful. I just took a motion sickness pill and enjoyed the hundred foot tall trees with the sun glistening through their leaves.

I was surprised how many kids at Camp AJ I recognized or who recognized me from years ago. It is awesome to see how they've grown from wanting piggy-back rides to beating me in basketball and talking to me about their interest in leadership and other cultures.

I had a blast bringing some Chinese culture to Camp AJ. I introduced them some Chinese food (including dried squid), gave some lessons on using chopsticks, helped them count to 10 and taught them some basic Chinese vocabulary. This group of girls gave me a Chinese name, 五练 (Wu Lian). They chose it because they think it sounds cool.  I think the name means something along the lines of 'Five Skilled/Experienced'.

It's good to be back in Kansas! This is going to be a tough week of finishing up the odds and ends (packing... ugh) and saying good-bye to friends and family. Most of this week is not planned, so if you would like to get-together, give me a call!
In Pursuit of Love, Lora

No comments:

Post a Comment